Friday, September 14, 2007

If It Ain't Broke


Lesson 253: September 10th, 2007

Finish the story. Start with:

IT'S NOT LIKE IT HASN'T BEEN BROKEN BEFORE but why today of all days? I lean forward, squinching up my eyes to try to see out of the front window of my 1991 Ford Explorer as ice quickly forms on the frozen glass. This particular February morning had dawned cold and clear. I turned the weather channel on for a quick update as I tore through the house doing the frenzied morning dance. The "Local on the Eights" showed our airport reporting in at a crisp -2 F with a -30 F wind chill factor. Brrr! "Scarves, hats and mittens kids. Get it all on. Hurry up - Out the door!", I yelled, and away we all went. At 11:30 am, I stepped out into the frigid air to warm my car up for ten minutes before leaving the office to transfer my four year old from pre-school to his daycare. On my way back to the office I literally slid around a corner, not because of the icy roads, but because my steering had locked up when the engine died of causes unknown. So now here I am, sitting in a snowbank on the side of the road, peering out of the icy window. How far to go before I get to a busier street? Should I sti here waiting for help to come by or brave the cold and walk the five blocks to the main road? Lord only knows when someone may be by here. Times like this it sure would be nice to have a cell phone. I pull my wool hat down farther, make sure that my blue Columbia coat is zipped to the top and step out onto the frozen, snow covered street. Damn it's cold and I'm pissed! I slam the door hard. My anger carries me a full block before I feel the cold seeping in through my layers of winter clothing. Another block and my nostrils are frozen shut. Icicles have formed on my eyelashes. Block three and I can no longer feel my toes, yet I know that just two more blocks ahead is a real estate office where I can make a phone call to my boss.
"Mary, my car broke down and I'm at Cedar Realty. Can you come and get me? Oh, and before you do, will you please fire up that space heater under my desk?"
Just my luck that this would happen on the coldest day of the year. I've never before been so tickled to be back in my windowless closet-sized office. Thank heavens for the good people in my life who will come to my rescue when I call.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I must say I was held in suspense waiting to see what the outcome would be...pretty good!

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home