Sunday, December 09, 2007

Zanna's Gift ~ A Life In Christmases


I read Zanna's Gift as one of my Christmas themed books challenge. I picked this one up at the Book Warehouse in the factory outlet stores in Seaside. They always have a great selection of books in there. This Christmas book was first published in 2004 and is written by Scott Richards. It was a very touching story, beginning in 1938 with a family trying to cope with the loss of a child. It begins:

'There are many ways to lose a child, and none of them is merciful. But like all unbearable things it can be borne, and in the weeks before Christmas 1938, the Pullmans were learning how.'
Ernie, age 15, died in his sleep, probably of an aneurism. Ernie had a special relationship with his four year old sister, Zanna, a budding artist. Ernie was the only member who could see the pictures in the strange patterns and shapes that Zanna drew. Zanna had been drawing a special picture for Ernie that year and finished it after his death, keeping it always to give to Ernie when she would see him again. The picture became a symbol for the entire family generation after generation, brought out each year at Christmas for it's special place on the mantle.
This is a very touching story, easily read in one sitting, and one that I will keep on my shelves for many years to come, reminding me of the love adn commitment of family.

2 Comments:

Blogger Booklogged said...

I like the idea of a quick book to read every now and again. This one sounds good. I'll add it to the list for next year.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

This is a story that I would enjoy reading. I must remember to visit the Magic Bookshelf more often.

Happy New Year, Paula.

Blessings,
Mary

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home